Wednesday, March 16, 2011

NO HIDE, NO CHRISTMAS BOX!


I thought I would use the title of this reflection to introduce you to an old British adage that basically affirms that if we do not have the courage to ask for something, then we should not complain when we do not get it. Without shedding our shyness, we will not receive a present. Jesus is affirming here that we need to be forthright in bringing our petitions before God, as He wants to know what we want and the degree of commitment we have as regards this desire.
It is important to God that when we come asking for a grace, He knows we are going to use it well. There is no point in Him giving us a gift if we are never going to use it. I meet with this sort of attitude quite often as I am known to give away gifts given to me if I do not see how I can use them. Why keep something that is just going to be a clutter in my room or house or wherever it is kept? I am supposed to be living a simple life in imitation of Jesus and so I see this as important in this regard. Thus people often ask me what I need before they give me a gift. It takes the surprise out of opening the gift but it is certainly far more practical. I appreciate the gift no less even if I know what is coming.
God looks at this dynamic from the point of view of the giver. Even though His grace is unlimited, He does not want to waste it. Just because you have more money than you can possibly use in a lifetime does not make it sensible to use it as fuel for a fire to keep you warm. One of the aspects of living a good moral life is making choices that are efficient as regards achieving their desired end. Thus, there is a sense that God wants to be convinced that we will use responsibly all the gifts and graces we ask of Him.
Jesus tells us not to give up easily when seeking the graces of God for our lives. This will demonstrate our level of commitment to God and our intent to really use this grace well in our lives.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL
 
Reflection Question:
Do I tend to give up easily when things do not immediately go the way I want them to? If so, then it is time to change this character flaw and seek to grow in perseverance.
 
Father in heaven, help me to open my life to the many graces and gifts You want to give me so that I will be better able to give my all in Your service.
 
St. Joseph of Arimathea, pray for us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment