Friday, March 18, 2011

IMPORTANCE OF FATHERS

 
It is very easy to underestimate the role of a person in the life of another, particularly when it comes to that of our fathers. The role of the mother as important is a “given” as she carries her child in her womb for nine months before usually having a major role in the formative years of the child as well. However, there seems to be something that works against the roles of fathers in today’s society. So many of the pressures of society have a negative impact on the father’s role including the long hours at work and the pressures on men to be “one of the guys.”
It is important for us to recapture the essence of the role of the father if we want to give our children a well-rounded formation, particularly in their early years. I look back to my own childhood, which was not perfect, but the majority of my early memories are with my father: playing while he worked in the garden or did whatever he happened to be doing. I remember myself just hanging around, probably getting in the way more often than not, but having a great time doing it. As I got older the relationship evened out a bit, meaning I was able to contribute more to whatever we were doing up to the point of being considered an equal. I remember countless discussions about politics, morality, economy, sports and other issues that we had as we worked together. I recount this to say that I think it was all essential to my self-worth today. I am secure in who I am because of the acceptance I got from my father. Yes, others did the same, including my mother, teachers, close friends and relatives, but the multitude of memories I have indicate that it was my father’s acceptance and approval that I sought the most, and thankfully received as well.
As we celebrate Joseph’s life today, we honor the foster father of Jesus and the role he played in Jesus’ life. Let us pray that we can rediscover and be committed to the important role that fathers play in their children’s lives.Fr. Steve Tynan, MGL
 
Reflection Question:
What was my experience of my father as a child? Do I feel that it was lacking? Is there anything I need to talk to someone about this?
 
Jesus, help me to be grateful for the gift of my parents. Help me also to be a good parent to my children should I have any.
 
St. Lactali, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment