Friday, February 25, 2011

BE CHILDLIKE

Jesus says, “Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.” One day, a famous lawyer visited his former classmate who dropped out from law school and ended up in a farm. When he arrived, his classmate was out in the field, tilling the land. Upon seeing him, the lawyer loudly spoke, “Classmate, if only you finished law school just as I did, you would not have to work out here under the scorching heat of the sun. Look at me, I am always well groomed, my clothes are clean and I have my own car!” “My friend,” replied the farmer, “do you see those rice stalks? Think well, those stalks are standing straight because they have no grain, but the stalks heavy with grain cannot help but bend.”
I remember once, someone approached me and said, “Father, I have misgivings against you.” “Why?” I asked, for I sincerely did not know what I did to offend her. And she said, “You did not mention my name in the Mass when you thanked those who made the fiesta a success. I am one of the major sponsors, have you forgotten?” Honestly, I felt pity for her. It seems that many of us want to appear great in the eyes of other people. Thus, Jesus warns us that unless we become like little children, we cannot enter God’s Kingdom.
But why a child?
First, aside from being cute, a child is weak. A child becomes strong only when somebody helps him. This is precisely the point Jesus is making in the Gospel: We have nothing to boast — we are weak and sinful but loved by no less than God Himself.
Second, a child is truly disarming because he is simple and honest with himself. A child is not naturally judgmental. The same is true with God. He does not discriminate between saints and sinners, good and bad, rich and poor. Despite our sins, God still sees the goodness He has planted in our hearts.
Third, a child is a growing possibility. A child is a sign of hope. Only he whose hope never dies enters God’s Kingdom.
Let us be childlike, but never childish.Fr. Bobby Titco
 
Reflection Question:
Am I childlike or childish?
 
Dear God, I am Your child. Let me always live as Your child. Increase my faith in Your Fatherly care. Never allow self-conceit to reign in me, but let me continue growing into what You intend me to become. I want to be home with You forever someday. Amen.
 
St. Nestor, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment